Monday, July 31, 2017

Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see." Hebrews 11:1 NLT



"Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see." Hebrews 11:1 NLT
So many times people think that Christ followers just have a hope in things that are unseen and untrue. They think it is a hoax and that we put our whole lives into the hands of a mythical being. Even if they do think that we are putting our hope into something that isn't real, they need to realize that it isn't just hope. It's not that simple, it is faith. It is jumping off that cliff with sparkling water below but not knowing if there are rocks hidden near the surface. But, even with the fact that there might be danger ahead running through our minds, we take the jump anyways. Flinging ourselves with all our might trying to get as far as we can before we hit the refreshing and inviting paradise below. Some times we choose to jump, other times we sit back with that paradise still in view not willing to move. May it be frozen in place out of fear, or a stubborness of not wanting to be the first to jump. But there are also times when you jump off that cliff because you are pushed. Not by your will, although not by another physical human either. Like a little whisper inside your head that encourages you to do the thing that terrifies you most. Like a wild animal charging you as you stand at the edge with to jump as your only option. But when we do jump, the water is serenity and we are overcome by the assurance that with the leap of faith we took there is gratification and a peace that comes after the free fall. So what is faith? The literal defenition for faith within religion is reliance, loyalty, or complete trust in God; a system of religous beliefs. But what is the difference between belief and faith then? As I mentioned in the metaphor above, faith would require an action to be taken inorder for it to be lived out. Where as belief would be to trust in something and accept it but that is it, the thought dies there. Faith is a continous process that has to consistantly be pursued.
 Within the verse it also says "the conviction of things not seen" (ESV) to me conviction reminds me of the admitance of sin in your life or the realization of things being done wrong. I think that the author of this verse chose that word puposefully because it has a pressing urge to it. This shows that those things that aren't seen but there is still the reality of it all being very real. Just because you can't always see a rainbow doesn't mean it doesn't exsist.

An example of faith is when I packed up to come here to IGNITE. Being from Canada as well as the first Canadian to come to IGNITE I really had no clue as to what expect. I didn't know anyone that had gone through the program so I couldn't ask them questions about anything related to my next year. But still some part of me didn't want to know. Maybe it is because I wanted a taste of the free-fall and the sumersaulting feeling in your stomach that comes with it. But all I knew was that I was going to a place where they loved Jesus and taught about him and that I wanted people with that kind of wisdom in my life. So getting on a plane with barely any knowledge as to where I was going I took off with the faith that God would some how protect me and get me where I needed to go. When I first jumped I couldn't help the feeling creep into my mind that maybe, just maybe I had gotten it wrong and wasn't supposed to jump. But then I caught a glimpes of why I did in the first place and the feeling left within a fleeting moment.  Although I am still in the free-fall I know that I won't hit the shallow rocks below, because I plan to launch myself as far as I can before I hit the oasis below.

Application: This week I will be praying that God will give me an oppertunity to step out in faith each day and that I would take the jump with a willing heart in
order to fully understand the concept of faith through God and not through myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment