Monday, July 31, 2017

Luke 8: 22-25
One day Jesus said to his disciples, "let's cross to the other side of the lake." So they got into a boat and started out. As they sailed across, Jesus settled down for a nap. But soon a fierce storm came down on the lake. The boat was filling with water, and they were in real danger. the disciples went and woke him up, shouting, "Master, Master, we're going to drown!" When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and the raging waves. Suddenly the storm stopped and all was calm. then he asked them, "where is your faith?" the disciples were terrified  and amazed. "who is this man?"  they asked each other,  "when he gives a command, even the wind and waves obey him!"

why were they going to the otherside of the lake?
what was there? when was this? like what time of day?
afternoon?

When reading these verses I came to the realization that I am just like the disciples. I am guilty of suddenly calling out "Lord" whenever I come to the realization I am in danger, expecting God to save me. What I find interesting is that it says "they were in real danger", I think often I don't call out to God until I deem it as real danger, I am reluctant to allow God to help and speak to me unless I feel as if I have no other option. I wait until I am in real danger before I ask God to help me. Another thing that I noticed is that they went to Jesus after running around like chickens with no heads on. Instead of praying for themselves right away to God, they went to him trusting that he would have the easy way out for them. They didn't rely on there faith in God to deliver them, they relied on the tangable Jesus to get them through. I know that in my life I am also guitly of looking to the physical beings for help, through friends, my dad of whom is a pastor, or my mentors at church to give me good counsel. I go to them wanting immediate answers of what to do, and put my full weight on them instead of God. But when I find that I am in danger and realize that I can not fix it through other people or myself then then I cry out "Lord, save me."

The last thing that stood out in this passage is that they were terrified and amazed. How is that they are in the presence of Jesus yet they only at times become amazed? It is as if they forget that he is the son of God and can do all things. They have seen Him heal the paralized, and raise people from the dead but they limit Him to those kinds of healings. They do not believe that he could control the universe. I often am reminded of God's great power when I am in nature. I am amazed by the things that Christ has created. He not only made every human different, but He has also made the animals and plants different too. He is set on the individuality of everything on this planet.

Application: Today I will pray earnestly for all the ministries we are doing today before things get tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment